Saturday, July 30, 2011

It's a Boy --

and at first I was torn.

I am a girl. I studied feminist lit in grad school and I teach at an all girl's school. I enjoy being a girl and fighting for women's causes. One of my goals in life is to make the world a better place for the next generation of women, and I always imagined doing that, in some small way, through a daughter.

And I'm having a boy.

That's not all. I think there are better baby clothes for girls, and I already knew the sort of thing I wanted to decorate her room with. The names I was really dwelling on were girl's names. All those baby legwarmers my niece wears would have looked so cute on my little girl, too.

So when the ultrasound tech (her name is Nikki and she is WONDERFUL) announced we were having a boy, I was thrown. I knew Scotty wanted a boy, and I know he is going to be the best dad to a little boy, so I was so happy for us, but I was also definitely grieving for a little girl who never actually existed.

After about 5 seconds of conflict, I suddenly felt a surge of excitement and wonder. A Boy?! For the first time it was a reality, and the thought of having a little boy, a little Scotty, a sweet little man...I was overwhelmed. I lost it, crying and thrilled with all the possibilities for this sweet boy's future. And he can wear a little hat like Scotty's! And suspenders! And he will be able to keep up with Skyler, my niece! And he can ride a little skateboard like Scotty! And I am sure he will have terrific dance moves, too.

And when Scotty isn't looking, just for me, I'm going to put a little bow in his hair.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Tarra I would like this in a book please, I'm ready for the next page now, thanks your bbeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jayden had one of those little hats that his Uncle Scotty and Uncle T wear. I will have to try to find it and put it in the baby stuff we have for you. While I agree with you that baby girls have way better clothes, baby boys have way cooler toys. And just think, you can teach your little boy all the same feminist stuff you could have taught a daughter and he will grow up well rounded and have respect for the women in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and you can paint his toenails too with some very light color and Scotty will never know ;0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, these are great points! Having a son who can handle a strong woman will be a job on its own! And Erin, you are so sweet. I will try to post more regularly! xoxo

    ReplyDelete