Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Don't Cook

but I guess now I have to learn. It's on my Things to Due List, which I need to revisit every once in awhile to remind myself of how much I have to do in only very little time. Luckily, I have fantastic cooking role models. Aside from my mother and Scott's mother keeping us very well fed, I have 2 sisters-in-law who are proving to be incredibly helpful. Misque, of Misque's Corner, not only has every kitchen appliance, but she actually knows how to use them, and she does, very well. She's a green cook as well, so all her ingredients are organic, eco friendly, and often vegan. I also have a sister-in-law, Annie, who lives in San Diego and even though she has 5, count 'em, 5 kids, she manages to cook, go to school/work, raise 5 kids, AND send me recipes. Armed with these ladies, and a fantastic cookbook I just bought, Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton, I am going to pull a Julie/Julia and cook my way through all they have to offer. Wish me luck. I'm starting tomorrow. Ha.


I have started to question why it has taken me so long to begin to embrace this role. Not the role of mommy, I came around to that one pretty quickly, but I guess just general caretaker. I have never really had the urge to cook, I live in a semblance of cleanliness covered only by a thin layer of dust except where visitors won't look (there, the dust is pretty thick), I rarely Swiffer and I really don't mind a sink full of dirty dishes. The idea of "keeping house" and making dinner at first left a bitter taste in my mouth, because... shouldn't my boyfriend be doing all these things too?

Luckily, he's not too shabby. We don't really have a super traditional relationship, we eat a lot of pizza (soon to change!), he is trying to perfect his grilled cheese, and he makes fantastic adult beverages I can't wait to indulge in (next year). He also has a pretty great attitude about everything, which is so nice to have around my grumpy, uncomfortable self. Have I mentioned he's pretty fantastic? Mainly because I know he'll never make me into that 50's housewife that rails against every fiber of my being. I dare him to try.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya, sista. In theory, I finally understand wanting to take care of my man with food and a nicely kept home (i.e. I'm with someone I actually want to do this for), but it's still very unpleasurable to do these things...especially after work. Thankfully, they weren't attracted to us for these reasons. Xo

    ReplyDelete